Heythorp (St. Nicholas)
HEYTHORP (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Norton, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 3¼ miles (E. by N.) from Chipping-Norton; containing, with the hamlet of Dunthrop, 198 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 10½., and in the gift of the Earl of Shrewsbury: the tithes have been commuted for £150. The church is a small ancient edifice, with several fragments of sculpture on the outside walls, and contains memorials of the family of Ashfield. Here is a Roman Catholic chapel. A Carthusian monastery was founded at this place in 1222, by William Long Espee, Earl of Salisbury; but on the representation of its low and unfavourable situation by the monks, it was removed by the earl's widow to Hinton, in Somersetshire.