Heydon (St. Peter)
HEYDON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from Reepham; containing 321 inhabitants. It is on the Holt and Norwich road and comprises 1922a. 3r. 13p., the larger part arable: a superior kind of marl is obtained, which, when burnt into lime, is equal to Roman cement. Heydon Hall, a handsome mansion in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1584, is the residence of W. E. L. Bulwer, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and possesses nearly the whole of the parish; the park, occupying about 400 acres, contains some oaks of very fine growth. The living is a rectory, with that of Irmingland united, valued in the king's books at £9. 16. 10½., and in the gift of Mr. Bulwer: the tithes have been commuted for £303. 10., and the glebe contains nearly 25 acres. The church is chiefly in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower surmounted by pinnacles at the angles; a gallery at the west end was erected in 1839, by the Rev. E. Nepean, and a small organ by subscription. In the north aisle is an altar-tomb of black marble, to the memory of Erasmus Earle, an eminent lawyer, and serjeant-at-law to Oliver Cromwell. On the exterior of the south wall of the church, a peculiar kind of fern grows, supposed to be the only specimen in the kingdom.