Hexton (St. Faith)
HEXTON (St. Faith), a parish, in the union of Hitchin, hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban's, county of Hertford, 5¼ miles (W. by N.) from Hitchin; containing 295 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1453 acres, chiefly arable land; about 35 acres are common or waste. The surface is hilly, and the scenery pleasingly diversified; the soil of the lower grounds is principally clay, and on the hills, gravel, with a substratum of chalk. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 13. 4.; patron and impropriator, J. Lautour, Esq.: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £90, and the glebe comprises one acre. The church has been almost entirely rebuilt, at the cost of £3000, by Mr. Lautour, and is a beautiful structure in the later English style; the chancel has a richly-groined roof. A complete intrenchment, called Ravensburgh Castle, occupies a site of about twelve acres. The Ikeneld-street passes through the parish. Quantities of gold and silver coins, mostly Roman and Saxon, have been found; and in 1832, a curious vessel, containing coins of various kings of Northumbria and of several of the archbishops of York, was discovered in the churchyard in digging a grave, near the north transept of the church. Springs of water, slightly chalybeate, constantly descend from a hill here, and form a river in Hexton Park.