Hewish, or Huish (St. Nicholas)
HEWISH, or Huish (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Pewsey, hundred of Swanborough, Everley and Pewsey, and N. divisions of Wilts, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Pewsey; containing 133 inhabitants. This parish, which according to computation comprises 750 acres, originally formed part of the possessions of the Seymour family, of whom Sarah, Duchess of Somerset, in 1690 conveyed the manor to twelve trustees, for the foundation of a college at Froxfield, for the residence and maintenance of widows. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Trustees of the College: the tithes have been commuted for £185, and the glebe comprises 35 acres. The church is a plain modern building.