Heveningham (St. Margaret)
HEVENINGHAM (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from Yoxford; containing 417 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 1659 acres. Heveningham Hall, the seat of Lord Huntingfield, one of the most stately mansions in the county, is situated on an eminence, in a beautiful and well laid-out park, abounding in fine plantations, and commanding extensive views. The mansion, which is ornamented in front with a noble piece of water, is 300 feet in length, and embellished with a succession of Corinthian columns; the interior is fitted up in a costly manner, and contains a fine collection of pictures, chiefly of the Dutch and Flemish masters. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £480, and the glebe comprises 30 acres, with a house, greatly improved by the Rev. Henry Owen. The church, partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style, has an embattled tower, and an elaborately carved roof. The churchwardens receive annually, from town-lands, £138, for the repairs of the church, and other parochial uses.