HETTON, SOUTH, a colliery village, in the township of Haswell, parish and union of Easington, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 7 miles (E. by N.) from Durham; containing about 1960 inhabitants. The South Hetton colliery, which was opened in 1833, and contains some of the richest beds of coal yet discovered, is on the estate of T. R. G. Braddyll, Esq., of Conishead Priory, Lancashire, and is worked by him and his partners; 643 persons are at present employed in this flourishing undertaking. Limestone, also, is quarried for building purposes. The Durham and Sunderland railway passes through the village, and the Hartlepool railway terminates a mile to the south. The village was built on the opening of the mines. A very neat chapel, for which Colonel Braddyll gave the site, and the burial-ground attached, was erected by subscription in 1837, at an expense exceeding £1000, towards which the company liberally contributed.