HESWALL, a parish, in the union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester; containing, with the township of Gayton, 546 inhabitants, of whom 397 are in the township of Heswall with Oldfield, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Great Neston. In the Domesday survey this place is called Eswelle, and is mentioned as being held by Robert de Rodelent. It was afterwards possessed by a family of the local name, who held the manor until the early part of the 14th century, when it was conveyed by coheiresses, in moieties, to the Calveleys and Egertons. By the marriage of Katherine, heiress of the Calveleys, to Arthur Davenport, who was slain at the battle of Shrewsbury in 1403, their moiety became vested in the Davenport family, with whom it still continues. The Egertons held their moiety till 1699, when it was sold to the Whitmores; and upon the distribution of the Whitmore estates, under a decree of chancery, in 1816, it became the property of James Okill, Esq., of Fron, in the county of Flint. The parish is pleasantly situated, rising obliquely from the banks of the Dee, and commanding a fine view of that river and of the Welsh coast; it comprises by computation 3000 acres, of which 1800 are waste. The land in cultivation is chiefly arable, producing excellent crops of wheat; and the substratum abounds with red sandstone, used for building. Above the village is a fine tract of common, rising to the height of 475 feet above the level of the sea. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 8. 4., and in the alternate patronage of E. D. Davenport, and Wm. Lloyd, Esqrs.; net income, £294; the glebe comprises 20 acres, with a glebe-house, finely situated, and rebuilt in 1845. The church is an ancient structure with a tower; the chancel was rebuilt in 1841. A school, lately erected is supported partly by subscription.