Hessle (All Saints)
HESSLE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Sculcoates, county of the town of Hull, locally in the E. riding of York, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Hull; containing 1388 inhabitants. This place was anciently called Hest, and its church was the mother church of the Holy Trinity, in Hull, which town was separated by act of parliament, in 1661; previously to that date, the incumbents were styled vicars of Hest and Hull, from the combination of which the village most probably derived its name. The parish comprises 2410 acres of land; and has some extensive quarries of chalk, and several mills for the manufacture of whiting. The village is on the river Humber, across which is a royal ferry to Barton, on the opposite shore; the first station on the line of the Hull and Selby railway is also situated here. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 7. 1., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £303. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a lofty spire; the interior has been much improved within the last few years, from a fund of more than £100 per annum for keeping the building in repair. There are places of worship for Methodists of the Old and the New Connexion. An hospital for three aged women, and a school for boys, are supported by Chamberlain's charity; and £30 are distributed among the poor on St. Thomas' day, from the charitable funds of the parish.