HESLETON, COLD, a township, in the parish of Dalton-le-Dale, union of Easington, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 8 miles (S.) from Sunderland, and 10½ (E. N. E.) from Durham; containing 83 inhabitants. This township, also called Cold Hesleden and Haseldon, comprises about 820 acres: the hamlet is situated on an eminence, and commands a view of the sea, by which the township is bounded on the east; in other respects the scenery is bleak and uninteresting. The South Hetton Coal Company have a fixed engine at this place, on their line of railway to Seaham harbour, for working the coal-waggons up the eastern and western ascents to the summit. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £75. Henry Smith, of Silver-street, London, about 1627 bequeathed a portion of an estate called Long-Stock farm, in the county of Southampton, to the poor within the township: this portion now yields about £30 per annum.