Heslerton, West (St. Andrew)
HESLERTON, WEST (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York; containing, with the chapelry of East Heslerton, 563 inhabitants, of whom 328 are in the township of West Heslerton, 9 miles (E. N. E.) from Malton. The parish comprises 6170 acres, of which 2180 are in the township; and is mostly arable, with a small portion of pasture and meadow land. The surface is level at the base of the Wold hills, the soil light and sandy in some places, and in others marl; the river Derwent flows on the north, where in particular situations it forms a boundary. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £465: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an act of inclosure, in the 10th George III.; a good glebe-house was built in 1820. The church is a neat structure.