HESKIN, a township, in the parish of Eccleston, union of Chorley, hundred of Leyland, N. division of Lancashire, 5½ miles (W. S. W.) from Chorley; containing 359 inhabitants. Heskin being a joint manor with Eccleston, descended with it from the Gernets and Dacres to the family of Molyneux, of Sefton. The Mawdesleys afterwards possessed the estate, which was purchased of the trustees of the Rev. Thomas Mawdesley by Alexander Kershaw, Esq., in 1739, and has continued with his descendants. The old Hall was taken down about forty years ago, and a farmhouse now occupies its site: the new Hall is a large brick gabled edifice. The township comprises 1189 acres of land, and the tithes have been commuted for £175. 4. In 1597, Sir James Pemberton endowed a free school with £50 per annum, and 11 acres of land; and Hannah Anderton, in 1806, gave a cottage as a schoolroom, with £10 per annum.