HENSINGHAM, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Bees, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 1 mile (S. E.) from Whitehaven; containing 1019 inhabitants. The village, occupying an elevated site, commands an interesting view of the town and harbour of Whitehaven, and there are some neat villas in the neighbourhood. A manufactory for thread and check is in operation; and at Overend a large quantity of limestone is obtained and burnt. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £126: patron and impropriator, the Earl of Lonsdale: the tithes were commuted for land in 1767. Archbishop Grindal was born here in 1519.