Henlow (St. Mary)
HENLOW (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Biggleswade, hundred of Clifton, county of Bedford, 4¼ miles (S. by W.) from Biggleswade; containing 776 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2190 acres, of which 1660 are arable, 340 meadow, and 190 pasture: the soil is partly light, and partly a strong clayey loam; the surface is flat, and watered by a small stream which flows through the grounds of the Grange. Straw-plat is made. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £265; impropriator, G. N. Edwards, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1795; the glebe contains about 17 acres. The church is a neat structure, in the later English style.