Henfield (St. Peter)
HENFIELD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Steyning, hundred of Tipnoak, rape of Bramber, W. division of Sussex, 6 miles (N. E. by N.) from Steyning; containing 1763 inhabitants. This place belonged to the Saxon earl Warbald and his countess Tedburga, the site of whose castle is still pointed out, with the moat by which it was surrounded, now inclosing a piece of ground called the Chapel Garden; and in the vicinity, foundations are frequently discovered by the plough, the only remains of a residence of the early bishops of Chichester, to whom the manor was given by King Osmand, about the year 770. The parish comprises 4862a. 1r. 34p., of which 2078 acres are arable, 1200 meadow, 484 pasture, and about 100 rough and waste. It is pleasantly situated on the road from London, by way of Shoreham, to Brighton, and on the river Adur, by which it is bounded on the west, and which is navigable from Shoreham to Mock bridge. A market for corn is held on Friday; and there are pleasure-fairs on the 4th of May and 31st of July. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16; net income, £280; patron, the Bishop of Chichester; impropriator, the Hon. Robert Curzon. By deed of endowment, in 1837, the stipend of the resident officiating minister, whether vicar or curate, was augmented with £60 per annum, arising from funds in the hands of trustees. The church is a handsome structure, principally in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains several mural monuments. There is a place of worship for Independents. Dr. Thomas Stapleton, a celebrated controversial writer, was a native of the parish.