Hemsby (St. Mary)
HEMSBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of West Flegg, E. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Yarmouth; containing 591 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east by the sea, and comprises 1743 acres, of which 1412 are arable, and the remainder, with the exception of 57 acres of waste or common, good meadow land. The Hall, a neat mansion with tastefully laid out grounds, is the residence of R. Copeman, Esq., lord of the manor, who holds a court in November. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 6. 8.; patron and chief impropriator, Mr. Copeman. The great tithes have been commuted for £75, and the small for £185: the vicar has a glebe of 27 acres. The church is principally in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower; the font is curiously sculptured. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. At the inclosure, fifteen acres were allotted to the poor for fuel, and nine acres to be let out in portions for gardens.