Hempstead (All Saints)
HEMPSTEAD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 1½ mile (S. E.) from Holt; containing 296 inhabitants. It comprises 1756a. 2r. 8p., of which 1187 acres are arable, 200 in sheep-walks, 184 meadow and pasture, 161 woodland, and the remainder common and roads. In the vale of the Glaven is a large decoy for wild-fowl. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 2. 6.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich: the great tithes have been commuted for £270, and the vicarial for £140; the glebe comprises 15a. 3r. 9p. The church consists of a nave, with a low brick tower at the north-west end erected in 1744.