HEMINGTON, a township, in the parish of Lockington, union of Shardlow, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 9 miles (S. E.) from Derby; containing 381 inhabitants. This township lies on the road from Tamworth to Nottingham, and comprises about 1200 acres, of which two-thirds are pasture, and the remainder arable: it was inclosed in 1789. The surface is hilly; the soil is gravelly below the village, above it marly and stronger. Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart., is chief proprietor, and lord of the manor, which was held by the Harpur family as early as 1580, and previously by the Crophulls. Hemington was anciently a separate parish, and had a church, of which there are still large remains, partly converted into two dwellings, adjoining the ruins of the tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.