Hemingston (St. Gregory)
HEMINGSTON (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, E. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (S. E.) from Needham-Market; containing 381 inhabitants, and consisting of 1444 acres. Hemingston Hall is a good mansion in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1558. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 11. 5½., and in the gift of Sir W. F. F. Middleton, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £369. 5. 5., and the glebe comprises 67 acres. The church, a handsome structure in the later English style, with an embattled tower, contains monuments to the Brand and Colville families.