Hemingby (St. Margaret)
HEMINGBY (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Horncastle, N. division of the wapentake of Gartree, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Horncastle; containing 373 inhabitants. The parish is pleasantly situated in a valley, watered by the river Bane, and comprises by measurement 2003 acres. A statute-fair is held in the week after Old Mayday. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 8. 6½., and in the gift of King's College, Cambridge: the income arises from land appropriated in lieu of tithes, and comprising 421 acres, valued at £500. The church, which was rebuilt about the beginning of the last century, is a plain edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, and contains a handsome marble monument to the Rev. Joseph Carr, who was for forty years rector of the parish, and died in 1768. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school is partly supported by endowment. Almshouses of five tenements were founded by Lady Jane Dymoke, widow of the Champion of England, who in 1727 endowed them with 174 acres of land and £300 in the funds, now producing an income of £120 per annum.