Helpstone (St. Botolph)
HELPSTONE (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Market-Deeping; containing 513 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 1750 acres. There are quarries of stone for common building purposes and for the roads. The village is neatly built; and in the centre is an ancient cross. The Helpstone station of the Syston and Peterborough railway is midway between Stamford and Peterborough, being six and a quarter miles from each town. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 0. 5.; net income, £99; patron, Earl Fitzwilliam; impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Christ's College, Cambridge: the tithes were commuted for land in 1774. The church has traces of Norman design, with insertions in the early, decorated, and later English styles. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Under an inclosure award in 1774, twenty acres of land were allotted, which are let in small portions, producing £40 per annum, to be distributed among the poor.