Helperthorpe (St. Peter)
HELPERTHORPE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Driffield, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Sledmere; containing 160 inhabitants. It comprises 3000 acres, of which about 150 are pasture and wood, and the remainder arable land. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 19. 7.; net income, £178; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York: the tithes were commuted for land in 1801. The church, a small edifice with a low tower, was thoroughly repaired in 1829. There being no burialground, the parishioners use that at Weaverthorpe.