Helmsley, Gate (St. Mary)
HELMSLEY, GATE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of York, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York, 6¼ miles (E. N. E.) from York; containing 306 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from York to Bridlington, and comprises 470 acres, in nearly equal portions of arable and pasture; the soil is in general gravel, and the scenery pleasing. A private asylum for lunatics was established in 1821, by Mr. James Martin; the grounds around it are extensive. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £2; net income, £114; patron, the Prebendary of Osbaldwick in the Cathedral of York; impropriators, the family of Barratt: the tithes were commuted for land in 1769. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.