Helmdon (St. Mary Magdalene)
HELMDON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Brackley, hundred of King's-Sutton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6 miles (N.) from Brackley; containing 551 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 1922 acres. The working of an excellent quarry of freestone here has been long discontinued, probably from want of facilities for conveyance. The parish is within the duchy of Lancaster, for which a court leet is held here by the crown. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 11. 0½.; net income, £267; patrons, the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1758; the land comprises 60 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the later English style; the nave is lighted by a fine range of clerestory windows, and in the chancel are a piscina and some sedilia, nearly perfect, and of elegant design. A place of worship for Baptists has been opened.