Heighton (St. Martin)
HEIGHTON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Newhaven, hundred of Flexborough, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 1¾ mile (N. N. E.) from Newhaven; containing 81 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Ouse, and comprises 923 acres, of which 552 are waste land or common; the surface is hilly, and the mountain called the Five Lords' Bridge commands extensive views. The living is a rectory, with that of Tarring-Neville united, valued in the king's books at £11. 8. 6½., and in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Wynch, with a net income of £412: the tithes of Heighton have been commuted for £150. The church, which was damaged by lightning in 1769, has nearly disappeared.