Hedingham, Sible (St. Mary)
HEDINGHAM, SIBLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Halstead, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, ¾ of a mile (S. W.) from Castle-Hedingham; containing 2322 inhabitants. The soil is generally fertile, consisting partly of light loam on a gravelly bottom, and in other places of deep and rich loam producing abundant crops, among which are considerable quantities of the best Essex hops. The village is beautifully situated near the river Colne, and contains several good houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £22, and in the gift of Trustees: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £1500, and a rent-charge of £241 is paid to certain impropriators; the glebe contains 37 acres. The church is a spacious and handsome structure in the early English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains the mutilated remains of a splendid monument to Sir John Hawkwood, the Florentine chieftain, who was born here, with other memorials referring to his name and family. Here is a place of worship for Baptists.