Heckington (St. Andrew)
HECKINGTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aswardhurn, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Sleaford; containing, with the hamlet of Garwick, 1558 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Boston to Sleaford, comprises by measurement 5100 acres; the pastures are luxuriantly rich. A large market for cattle is held on the 10th of October. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 3.; net income, £203; patron, the Rev. H. B. Benson; impropriators, Sir S. Scott, Bart., and others. The tithes were commuted for land in 1764; the rectorial glebe comprises 500 acres. The church is a beautiful cruciform structure, in the pure decorated English style, with a lofty embattled tower crowned by pentagonal pinnacles, and surmounted by an octagonal spire of fine proportions, with canopied windows on the alternate faces. The interior is good, rather from elegance of composition and arrangement than profusion of elaborate ornament. The font is exquisitely executed, and there are several well sculptured stone stalls and canopied niches; in the chancel is a series of the latter representing the Sepulchre of the Saviour, of which very few specimens now exist. Here is a place of worship for Baptists. Seventeen acres of land, the bequest of William Taylor, Esq., in 1720, yield a rent of £24, which is distributed among the poor; and 41 acres have been left by an unknown benefactor for the same purpose.