HEBDEN, a township, in the parish of Linton, union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 11 miles (N. by E.) from Skipton; containing 480 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 2840 acres, of which about 600 are pasture, and the remainder moorland; the scenery is wild and romantic. The village is situated on the north side of the river Wharfe, and on the road from Grassington to Pateley-Bridge; the population is chiefly employed in a cotton-mill, and in lead-mines in the vicinity. St. Peter's church here, consecrated on the 27th of October, 1841, is in the early English style, and has a chancel with a beautifully groined ceiling. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.