Heaton, Hanging, or Upper Soothill
HEATON, HANGING, or Upper Soothill, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Dewsbury, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Dewsbury. This district, which derives the affix to its name from the earls of Warren having had a gallows here, is on the road from Dewsbury to Leeds, and comprises 1845 acres of arable and pasture land, and 250a. 3r. 20p. of wood. It participates in the various woollen manufactures carried on in the neighbourhood. The village is beautifully situated on the slope of an eminence, abounding with good freestone, of which the houses and the church are built; and coal is wrought. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was erected in 1825, at an expense of £5000, by the Parliamentary Commissioners; it is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains 600 sittings, of which 220 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Dewsbury, with a net income of £150, and a good house.