Heaton, Earls, or Nether Soothill
HEATON, EARLS, or Nether Soothill, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Dewsbury, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 1 mile (N. E.) from Dewsbury; containing 4453 inhabitants. The population is chiefly engaged in the woollen manufactures of the district, and blankets are made to a very great extent; there are also some quarries of excellent building-stone. The village is pleasantly situated on the brow of a hill, and is built of stone procured in the neighbourhood. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was erected in 1827, at a cost of £5000, by the Parliamentary Commissioners; it is a cruciform structure in the later English style, with a tower and spire, and contains 600 sittings, of which 250 are free, and a gallery for the accommodation of 300 children. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £200 by the Ripon Diocesan Society, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Dewsbury; net income, £164. There are 4 acres of glebe, and a good glebe-house.