HEATON, a township, in the district parish of Shipley, union of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Bradford; containing 1573 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 743 acres, of which 170 are arable, 523 pasture, and 50 wood; the surface is undulated, and the scenery is beautifully diversified, and embellished with stately wood. The lands were inclosed by act of parliament in the 20th of George III., and are in good cultivation. Heaton Hall, for many years the seat of the family of Field, has descended to the Earl and Countess of Rosse. The village, which is pleasantly seated on an acclivity, is irregularly built; and the township comprises also the small village of Frizingley, sheltered with well-grown timber, and the hamlets of Chellow, Heaton-Royds, and Heaton-Shaw; the whole retaining much of its pristine simplicity and rural beauty. A schoolroom is licensed by the bishop for divine service; and there is a place of worship for Baptists, who made Heaton their first settlement in the West riding.