Healing (St. Peter and St. Paul)
HEALING (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (W.) from Great Grimsby; containing 90 inhabitants. Healing is supposed to have derived its name from the efficacy of its two mineral springs, which are strongly impregnated with iron and sulphur; they have their source within a yard of each other, and are found useful in cutaneous diseases. The parish comprises by computation 1200 acres, of which 700 are pasture, and 500 arable. The surface is rather higher than the marsh, and a little lower than the Wolds; the soil is chiefly a rich clay, and the prevailing trees, ash, oak, and elm. Healing Hall and gardens have a moat on the east and south sides. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 4. 2., and in the gift of Alfred Arthur Wallis, Esq., and Mrs. Parkinson: the tithes have been commuted for £264. 6., and the glebe comprises 22 acres. The church, an ancient structure with a square tower, has undergone much mutilation.