HEAGE, a chapelry, in the parish of Duffield, union of Belper, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 5 miles (S. W.) from Alfreton; containing 2305 inhabitants. The chapelry is partly bounded by the rivers Derwent and Amber, and comprises 2330 acres, of which 1453 are arable, 725 meadow, 100 wood, and 51 acres roads; the surface is hilly and undulated, the soil a heavy clay, and the scenery pleasing. Ironstone has been worked from a very remote period, in the smelting and manufacturing of which charcoal was anciently used, there being numerous charcoal hearths in the vicinity; but coal is now obtained in abundance. Bricks are made of the clay here, and there are two good stone-quarries. The village, which is considerable, and stands elevated, is on the road from Belper to Chesterfield. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Duffield, with a net income of £150; and a parsonage-house, built in 1845. The chapel was enlarged in 1830, and contains 527 sittings, of which 384 are free. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists; also a school founded in 1705, by George Storer, and endowed with £28 per annum; a Church infant school; and a Sunday school.