Headon (St. Peter)
HEADON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of East Retford, South-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (S. E.) from East Retford; containing, with the small village of Upton, 269 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 2011 acres, was the residence of the Wastney family, of whom the last baronet, Sir Hardolph Wastney, erected the mansion of Headon Hall, in 1710. The living comprises a sinecure rectory and a discharged vicarage, valued jointly in the king's books at £19. 15. 10.; net income of the rectory, £178, and of the vicarage, £200; patron, G. H. Vernon, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1815; the vicarial glebe comprises 164 acres. The church, a handsome structure in the later English style, contains some monuments to the Wastney family.