Headley (St. Mary)
HEADLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Reigate, Second division of the hundred of Copthorne and Effingham, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (S.) from Epsom; containing 317 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1630 acres, of which 489 are waste or common; there are considerable woodlands. A small hill here is called "Oyster," from its containing fossils of that shell-fish, quantities of which have been found. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 7. 6., and in the gift of the family of Howard: the tithes have been commuted for £211, and the glebe contains 15½ acres. The church is a small edifice, chiefly built of flint, and consists of a nave and chancel separated by a pointed arch, with a tower at the west end: a delightful view is obtained from the churchyard, northwards.