Heacham (St. Mary)
HEACHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Smithdon, W. division of Norfolk, 14 miles (N. N. E.) from Lynn-Regis; containing 811 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3549a. 2r. 18p., of which about 2340 acres are arable, 857 pasture, meadow, and salt-marsh, 96 woodland, and 258 common and waste: the mail-road from Lynn to Wells passes through the village, which is on rising ground, on the sea-coast. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. S. C. E. Neville Rolfe. The impropriate tithes have been partly commuted for £27. 5. 4., and the vicarial for £263. 12. 8.; the glebe contains 2½ acres, and the incumbent resides at the Hall, a red brick mansion, situated in a small park. The church is chiefly in the decorated style, and is a handsome cruciform structure, with a lofty embattled tower at the intersection; the upper compartments of the windows have been filled with stained glass, a gallery erected at the west end of the church, and an organ presented, by the incumbent. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship. In 1837, Mrs. C. Rolfe bequeathed £500 to the poor, who also receive, in coal, £10. 10. per annum from land allotted at the inclosure. Here was a cell of Cluniac monks, subordinate to the monastery of Lewes.