HAZLEWOOD, a township, in the parish of Duffield, union of Belper, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 6 miles (N.) from Derby; containing 344 inhabitants. The township lies on the road from Duffield to Wirksworth, and comprises 1330 acres, of which 200 are arable, 1047 pasture, 30 woodland, and 53 acres roads. A tributary of the Derwent, on which is a mill at this place, passes through. The village is about a mile and a half north-north-west from that of Duffield, and contains a number of scattered houses. Hazlewood Hall lies near the eastern extremity of the township. A church in the early English style, with a bell-gable, was built in 1845, partly by the Church Commissioners: a district has been assigned to it; and there are a parsonage, and schools. The living is in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield.