Hayton (St. Mary Magdalene)
HAYTON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Faugh with Fenton, and Talkin, 1217 inhabitants, of whom 534 are in the township of Hayton, 8 miles (E. by N.) from Carlisle. The village has a neat and respectable appearance. The rivers Gelt, Irthing, and Cairn, flow through the parish; and there is a lake one mile in circumference, called Talkin tarn. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £123; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church, rebuilt by subscription in 1780, is a neat edifice, containing a marble tablet in memory of Sir James Graham, Bart., and another to several of the Grahams of Edmund Castle.