Hayling, South (St. Mary)
HAYLING, SOUTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Havant, hundred of Bosmere, Fareham and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4½ miles (S.) from Havant; containing 669 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4901a. 2r. 36p.; about 1429 acres are arable, 381 pasture, 53 wood, and 1162 sand and beach, and the mud land in Langston harbour covers 1717 acres. South Hayling has been for some time a watering-place. Its views on the south embrace the British Channel, and on the south-west and west, Spithead, St. Helen's, and the Isle of Wight. A few men are engaged in the salterns, which cover about 37 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 10.; net income, including that of North Hayling, £211; patron and impropriator, Wm. Padwick, Esq.: the glebe contains about 35 acres. There is a place of worship for Independents. The remains of a Roman encampment are visible.