Hayling, North (St. Peter)
HAYLING, NORTH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Havant, hundred of Bosmere, Fareham and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2 miles (S. by E.) from Havant; containing 277 inhabitants. This parish, with South Hayling, constitutes Hayling Island, which is bounded on the north and west by Langston harbour, on the east by Emsworth Channel, and on the south by the English Channel. North Hayling comprises 2516a. 9p., of which 877 acres are arable, 133 pasture, 24 wood, chiefly oak and elm, and 155 common; the mud of Langston harbour covers about 1280 acres. The views on the north and east embrace the South Down hills; the surface is flat, and the soil a rich loam. A few men are employed in the salterns. The living is a perpetual curacy, the net income of which is included in that of South Hayling.