Hayle and Copper-House
HAYLE and Copper-House, a small sea-port, in the parishes of St. Erth, Phillack, and Uny-Lelant, unions of Penzance and Redruth, hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall, 3½ miles (S. E. by E.) from St. Ives. This port, which is a member of that of St. Ives, is situated on the Bristol Channel; and the village stands on the road from Truro, through Redruth and Camborne, to Penzance. The smelting and refining of copper were formerly carried on to a great extent; but within the last few years the works have been discontinued, from the scarcity of coal in the vicinity, and the ore is now sent for the purpose of being smelted to places where that article is more abundant. A smelting-house for tin is, notwithstanding, still continued, and iron and brass foundries are conducted upon a very large scale; the most splendid steam-engines for the use of the mines are constructed here, and there is also a very extensive flour-mill. Considerable improvements were lately made in the harbour, by the construction of canals and flood-gates; and a grand causeway across an arm of the sea, 1040 feet in length, was completed in 1826, at an expense of £7200. Commodious wharfs have likewise been formed, and every thing requisite done for the despatch of business. The principal trade of the port is in the exportation of copper-ore to Wales, and tin to Bristol; and in the importation of coal, timber, and other articles for the mines, and of groceries and shop goods from Bristol. Vessels of 200 tons' burthen can enter at spring tides, and a steam-packet plies regularly between Hayle and Bristol. Carriages can always pass the sands between the place and St. Ives, from twelve o'clock at noon till one. A railway to Redruth was completed a few years ago, which now forms part of the West Cornwall line. A market is held on Saturday for provisions. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.