Haydon, or Heydon (St. Peter)
HAYDON, or HEYDON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Royston, hundred of Uttlesford, N. division of Essex, 6 miles (E. by S.) from Royston; containing 324 inhabitants. The manor was formerly held in two portions under two lords, of whom one held the basin and the other the towel at the coronation of the kings of England. The parish occupies the northwestern extremity of the county, and comprises 1239a. 2r. 25p., of which 1155 acres are arable, 70 pasture, and the remainder roads and waste. The surface is irregular, and the lands generally are among the highest of the district; the soil in some parts is thin and light, resting on chalk. The living is a rectory, with that of Little Chishall annexed, valued in the king's books at £18, and in the gift of Lord Braybrooke: the tithes have been commuted for £419. 7. 8., and there are about 50 acres of glebe. The church, a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, consists of a nave, north and south aisles, and a chancel, in which is a sepulchral chapel belonging to the Soame family. Bishop Dove, in the reign of Elizabeth, was rector of the parish; as was also, recently, the Rev. Dr. Thackeray, a late head master at Harrow.