Haxey (St. Nicholas)
HAXEY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, W. division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 8 miles (N. N. W.) from Gainsborough; containing, with the hamlets of Burnham, Eastlound, Graizelound, and Westwoodside, 2071 inhabitants. Haxey was anciently the property of the Mowbray family, whose arms are sculptured on one of three ancient crosses still remaining. The parish is situated on a hill, overlooking the Isle of Axholme, and is about three miles distant from the river Trent; it comprises by measurement 8160 acres. A few of the inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of sacking, tarpawlings, &c. A post-office has been established in the village. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20. 17. 8½.; net income, £550; patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York. The church is in the later English style, with a chancel of brick; on the north side of the nave is a chapel, separated from the aisle by a handsome carved oak screen There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A free school was founded and endowed by Thomas Tankersley, Esq., in 1654, and the income, increased by subsequent bequests, is now £93 per annum; a schoolroom was built at an expense of £300, in 1828. Seven almshouses were endowed with £10. 9. per annum by Mrs. Jane Farmery; and Catherine Shore bequeathed land now producing £89. 12., which, together with the proceeds of the poor's estate, £59, are distributed among the poor. Dr. Madan, Bishop of Peterborough, was vicar of the parish.