HAXBY, a parish, in the union of York, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York, 4 miles (N.) from York; containing 457 inhabitants. This parish comprises by measurement 2200 acres, of which 1365 are arable, 795 pasture, and 60 woodland; it is divided into the two manors of East End and West End. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Strensall; and a rent-charge of £24 is paid to the vicar, from 70 acres of land and six cottages, the former originally left to the church, and still called chapel lands: the tithes have been commuted for 5a. 2r. 37p. of land, awarded under an act of inclosure in 1769. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.