Hawstead (All Saints)
HAWSTEAD (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Thingoe, W. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (S.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 457 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2252 acres, of which 28 are waste land or common. It formerly belonged to the Drury family, at whose ancient seat of Hawstead Place, now a farmhouse, Queen Elizabeth was entertained in one of her progresses, by Sir William Drury, at that time its proprietor. The estate of Hawstead Lodge was purchased in 1844, for £10,650, by Sir Thomas Cullum, Bart., of Hardwick House, whose family had sold it in 1744, just a century previous. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 16. 10½., and in the patronage of Sir Thomas: the tithes have been commuted for £570, and there are nearly 38 acres of glebe. The church contains several handsome monuments. An almshouse for four women, who removed hither from Hardwick, was endowed by Sir Robert Drury; and in 1811, Philip Metcalf, Esq., endowed an almshouse for six women.