Hawkeswell (St. Mary)
HAWKESWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex, 1¾ mile (N. W.) from Rochford; containing 366 inhabitants. It comprises 1353 acres, of which 95 are waste land or common. The village is situated on a plain, and consists chiefly of a few straggling houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of R. Bristow, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £290, and the glebe comprises 89 acres. The church is ancient.