HAWICK, a township, in the parish of KirkHarle, union of Bellingham, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 9½ miles (E.) from Bellingham; containing 8 inhabitants. This place was a manor in the barony of Bolbeck, and holden of it by the barons of Bolam; part was afterwards the property of the family of Raymes, and at a later date possessions have been held here by the Strothers, Fenwicks, and Blacketts. The township comprises 1198 acres, whereof about 670 are uninclosed moor; the soil of the inclosed portion, which rests chiefly on limestone and basalt, is dry and well adapted for pasture. There was formerly a chapel, on an eminence still called Chapel Hill: about fifty years ago, the floors and foundations of the edifice were dug up, together with the stoup used for holy water, and a number of human bones. Several earthworks remain in the district, one of which consists of three compartments, each inclosed by regular lines.