HAVERTHWAITE, a district chapelry, in the parish of Coulton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (N. E.) from Ulverston. The village is situated a short distance north of the river Leven, and on the road from Ulverston to Kendal. At Backbarrow, in the chapelry, are cotton-works employing about 340 persons, and at Low-Wood are powderworks in which upwards of 60 are engaged; there are also small iron-works, and works for the preparation of acids, and stone-quarries are numerous, the material of which is used principally for building. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £52; patron, the Incumbent of Coulton. The chapel is a neat and commodious building, erected in 1826. The grammar school at Brow-Edge has an income of about £80.