HAUGHTON, a township, in the parish of Manchester, union of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles (N. E.) from Stockport; containing 3319 inhabitants. The name of this place is probably a corruption of High Town, the district being the most elevated part of the parish. The township comprises 1130 acres of land; and is situated on the border of the county, which is here separated from the county of Chester by the river Tame. The manufacture of cotton goods and of hats affords employment to about 750 persons; and abundance of coal is obtained. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.