Haughley (St. Mary)
HAUGHLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Stow, W. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Stow-Market; containing 916 inhabitants. This parish was the head of an honour or barony, under the appellation of Hagenet, and there are still some traces of a very strong castle, supposed to have been of Saxon origin, and which was demolished by Robert, Earl of Leicester, in 1173; the lofty mound that formed its site, and the deep moat by which it was surrounded, are in their original state. Haughley was a place of considerable importance at an early period, and continued to be a market-town till the time of Henry VIII.; but since the rise of Stow-Market it appears to have declined, and the market is now altogether discontinued: a fair, however, is still held on the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The parish comprises 2497a. 3r. 9p. The Haughley station of the Ipswich and Bury railway is four miles from the Stow-Market station. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 2., and has a net income of £158; the patronage and impropriation are vested in the Trustees of Dr. Triplett's charity. The church is in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower on the south side; the nave is lighted by clerestory windows, and at the west end is a noble window of seven lights, enriched with flowing tracery.