Haugham (All Saints)
HAUGHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Louth, Wold division of the hundred of Louth-Eske, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3¾ miles (S.) from Louth; containing 111 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1360 acres, of which a large portion is woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, now sequestrated, and valued in the king's books at £8. 1. 8.; net income, £151; patron, C. Chaplin, Esq. The church, which had fallen into ruins, was rebuilt in 1841, nearly at the sole expense of the Rev. G. Chaplin, the incumbent, and is a fine specimen of the later English style, having a handsome tower with a crocketed spire, and four ornamented flying buttresses; it is from a design of G. R. Willoughby's, of Louth, and bears a miniature resemblance to the noble church of St. James, in that town. Here was an alien priory, a cell to the Benedictine abbey of St. Mary San Sever, in France, valued at the suppression at twelve marks per annum, and settled upon the Carthusian priory of St. Ann, near Coventry. An intermittent spring, probably connected with some subterraneous reservoir, flows from the side of a hill called Skirbeck, in the parish.